The Vivo V29 Pro, arriving just six months after the Vivo V27 Pro in India, maintains a familiar design but brings notable camera and charging enhancements. These camera improvements are well-timed for the upcoming wedding and festive season, possibly drawing in new customers.
While the display and design are mostly unchanged, the device offers an appealing design, extended battery life, impressive charging speeds, and improved camera performance. Surprisingly, even with the same MediaTek chipset as its predecessor, the Vivo V29 Pro outperforms it. Some refinements provide the new phone with an edge.
However, the software experience is somewhat cluttered, and the device feels like an incremental upgrade over the Vivo V27 Pro. With pricing similar to its predecessor, starting at Rs 39,999 for the 8GB/256GB variant and Rs 42,999 for the 12GB RAM version, whether it’s worth considering depends on your specific needs and priorities.
Design and display :
The Vivo V29 Pro 5G closely resembles its predecessor, maintaining a sleek 7.4mm thickness and a weight of around 188 grams. This slim design, combined with a metal frame, offers durability and a premium feel. The well-placed volume and power buttons make it user-friendly, especially with the tall display. While the glass back can be slippery, Vivo includes a clear silicone case in the package to address this.
For those who prefer not to use the case, the phone’s finish, particularly the India-specific Himalayan Blue variant, boasts a unique texture created using “3D magnetic and nano-scale magnetic particles” technology. This color option complements daily and formal attire.
The 6.78-inch Full HD+ 3D curved AMOLED display remains unchanged from the previous model, offering a centrally aligned hole-punch cutout for the selfie camera. It delivers standard features like a 100 percent color gamut on the DCI P3 scale, a 120Hz refresh rate, HDR10+ support, and a peak brightness of 1,300 nits, ensuring a sharp and vibrant viewing experience. While stereo speakers would have enhanced the audio experience, the tall display impresses with its brightness and colors.
The phone features an in-display fingerprint scanner that proves fast and responsive, with the curved display well-optimized to prevent accidental touches.
The Vivo V29 Pro features a rectangular camera module on the back, with the following camera setup:
- 50MP primary camera with OIS
- 12MP portrait camera with 2x zoom
- 8MP ultra-wide-angle camera
The device also boasts a “Smart Aura Light” system with brighter LEDs and more tone options, allowing users to adjust the light’s intensity from warm red to cool white through simple gestures in the camera app. However, the Camera app’s user interface may need some improvements for better navigation.
The camera delivers impressive results, with sharp and boosted photos in daylight when using HDR. The 50MP primary camera offers a pleasing mix of contrast, shadows, and saturation. Users can also disable HDR and AI color detection for a more natural look. Portrait shots with the primary camera and the 12MP portrait camera both exhibit sharpness and improved edge detection.
Here’s the information you provided converted into a more structured format:
- Technology: GSM / HSPA / LTE / 5G
- Announced: October 4, 2023
- Status: Available. Released on October 10, 2023
- Dimensions: 164.2 x 74.4 x 7.5 mm (6.46 x 2.93 x 0.30 in)
- Weight: 188 g (6.63 oz)
- Build: Glass front, glass back
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: AMOLED, 120Hz
- Size: 6.78 inches, 111.0 cm2 (~90.8% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1260 x 2800 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~453 ppi density)
- OS: Android 13, Funtouch 13
- Chipset: Mediatek Dimensity 8200 (4 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×3.1 GHz Cortex-A78 & 3×3.0 GHz Cortex-A78 & 4×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G610 MC6
- Card slot: No
- 256GB storage with 8GB RAM
- 256GB storage with 12GB RAM
- Dual Cameras:
- 50 MP, f/1.9, (wide), 1/1.56″, 1.0µm, PDAF, OIS
- 12 MP, f/2.0, (telephoto), PDAF, 2x optical zoom
- 8 MP, f/2.2, (ultrawide)
- Features: Ring-LED flash, panorama, HDR
- Video: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30fps
- Single Camera:
- 50 MP, f/2.0, 22mm (wide), AF
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm jack: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band
- Bluetooth: 5.3, A2DP, LE
- Positioning: GPS (L1), GLONASS (G1), BDS (B1I), GALILEO (E1), QZSS (L1), NavIC
- NFC: No
- Radio: No
- USB: USB Type-C 2.0, OTG
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Type: Li-Po 4600 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: 80W wired, 1-50% in 18 min (advertised)
- Colors: Himalayan Blue, Space Black, Pink
- Models: V2251
- SAR: 1.17 W/kg (head), 0.77 W/kg (body)
- Price: About 460 EUR
- AnTuTu: 682,257 (v9), 904,412 (v10)
- GeekBench: 3,999 (v5), 3,764 (v6)
- GFXBench: 43fps (ES 3.1 onscreen)
- Contrast ratio: Infinite (nominal)
- Photo / Video
- -30.0 LUFS (Average)
This format makes it easier to read and reference the specifications of the device.